This morning Abby and I were at our playgroup. She was hungry, so I was giving her baby gold fish out of my hand. I was in the middle of talking with the other moms, so I didn't notice how many she had put in her mouth. I looked down and noticed she was choking on the goldfish and couldn't catch her breath. She coughed up some, but was still turning red. Just as I was about to ask, "does anyone know the Heimlich" she threw up a gob of gold fish and some of her breakfast.
I'm not saying this to scare anyone. I really didn't have time to get upset or overreact. However, it did get my attention. It made me realize how quickly we can become distracted and in that matter of time, something serious or harmful can happen. I wanted to pass this along so that other parents or caregivers can have a reminder (without experiencing it) that we need to always be cautious. It's easy to become comfortable and fall into bad habits or take chances when things are going well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I remember reading this a few days ago, kind of crazy that something so similar happened to us shortly after hearing your warning!
Post a Comment