Tuesday, July 1, 2008

In loving memory of Grandpa Sollars

I was driving home today and praising God for the most magnificent rainbow I have ever seen. It made me think of the first rainbow God placed in the sky as a reminder that he would never flood the earth again. I thought, wow, if that isn't perfect evidence of His existence then I don't know what is. No sooner did I think that, I received a call from Brain's mom that Grandpa Sollars (Brian's dad's step dad) had gone to heaven.
Grandpa Sollars had so much zeal for life and God. He talked about the Lord all the time. I remember him always smiling, joking and laughing. He was such a genuine, giving man. Even as he grew older and his health got worse he would be the one visiting and serving the sick. Grandpa Sollars had Emphysema and found it very difficult to breath. I was delighted to think of Him taking his first breath in heaven as the best breath of air he has every taken!

Please pray for Brian's side of the family and his parents. They drove up here today, from NC, to visit Abby and me. They got in tonight and will detour out to Illinois to be with Grandma Sollars.

2 comments:

Brian said...

He will definitely be missed! There never has or will be anyone quite like Grandpa. I wish I could be there in person with everyone through this tough time, but I take comfort in knowing he's in a better place now and that we will all see him again some day soon. I love you all and send my best to everyone who is coming in for the services.

Anonymous said...

Brian, although I don't believe we ever met, Mabel Sollars was my Grandmother's sister. I have the fondest memories of Uncle Don, as I have always referred to him. Every July my family would make the drive from Cleveland to Potomac for the big family picnic. I will never forget the first time Uncle Don allowed us (under the age of 16) to take his station wagon for a spin. Little did he know, he would not see us the rest of the day! He will be sorely missed and I will never forget his kindness and love.

Gloria Merritt
merritt@nicola.com
216-570-8616