Monday, September 7, 2009

Benny























The first time I saw Bentley I was woken up by him in my bed licking my face. I was a senior in high school and my parents had just picked up Esther for Christmas break. As they drove through Boston to bring her home from school she had them stop at a pet shop to see this adorable puppy who reminded her so much of our Springer, Katie, we had growing up. Katie passed away my freshman year of high school and mom put her foot down that we weren't getting another dog because soon I would be out of the house and there wouldn't be any kids to play with it.
Once my parents laid eyes on this cute little puppy, begging them to take him home, they were hooked. Mom figured it would be good therapy for dad since he had been having health problems at the time and it was his birthday too. They named him Bentley, which is where my sister went to school and it was a nice stately name.
Bentley is the happiest dog I have ever known. Seriously, his tail never stops wagging.
Today we went to my parents for Labor day. I was talking to my mom on the way to their house and she warned me that Bentley wasn't himself. It seems he suffered a stroke one night this week because he can't use his right two legs. He can't go down stairs at all by himself and cries a lot. My parents will call the vet tomorrow, but fear of what they might hear. It's so difficult to see Benny like this because he is still so happy. Tim played with him in the yard today, tossing him sticks. Benny just laid there with his tongue hanging out and tail wagging a mile a minute.

3 comments:

Rockie said...

oh that's so hard! We just went through that with Callie, Luke's family dog. I hope it all turns out well.

R+G Stewart said...

poor Benny, sorry to hear that Rach. He is such a cute puppy--RS

Steven and Candi Manning said...

Oh, so sorry to hear about Benny. What a sweet pup. Hope everything works out.